Due in 5 hours strictly-300 words
Post your responses to the Discussion based on the course requirements.
A 58-year-old man needs to have his blood tested on a regular basis so his physician can monitor the effects of the anticoagulant (blood thinner) medication he is currently taking. He usually has his blood drawn at his local lab in San Francisco, California. While traveling on business in Portland, Oregon, he is able to have his blood drawn on the specified day at another Labcorp location. Labcorp operates an extensive network of 1,700 laboratories across the United States, so lab results can be communicated to the patient’s physician from any location.
Geisinger Health System serves an area with 2.6 million people in northeastern and central Pennsylvania. As an integrated health system, it provides coordinated care to meet the wide-ranging needs of patients. The advanced use of information technology has been critical for facilitating communication, reducing duplication of services, and improving the patient experience along the care continuum. Consisting of numerous clinical facilities and a health insurance company, Geisinger Health System offers an innovative approach to care delivery that it hopes will become a national model.
Integration is an organizing principle for care delivery intended to promote better health outcomes and greater clinical and financial accountability. Labcorp’s horizontal integration is a growth strategy that reduces competition from other companies. Geisinger’s vertical integration is a diversification strategy that links a continuum of services to increase the comprehensiveness of care.
In Module 3, you examined the varied services a patient may need and researched health care organizations that provide those services in your geographic area. In this Discussion, you will examine how integration affects the delivery of care in your community.
To prepare for this Discussion, review the information related to horizontal and vertical integration in the Learning Resources, including the information in the Shi and Singh (2015) textbook and the journal articles.
Next, research integrated health systems in your geographic area. If you find that one or more of the settings you identified for your Module 3 Assignment are part of an integrated system, you may further research the setting(s) for this Discussion.
Select one vertically integrated health system and one horizontally integrated health system in your geographic area on which to focus for this Discussion.
Continue researching these two health systems, noting important information about each health system, including its size, settings/locations, and the services it provides. Investigate how the integration of each system has affected, or is expected to affect, issues related to cost, quality, and access to health care services in your area. Consider implications of integration for the management of the organization, as well as the patient/consumer experience.
If you are an international student, you may examine a specific geographic area in the United States or research two integrated health systems identified in the Learning Resources that are not the same ones you address in your Assignment.
Note: In the Assignment for this module, you are required to select and analyze one vertically integrated health system and one horizontally integrated health system from a provided list. Do not select the same health systems for this Discussion.
In 250-300 words, post a substantive and cohesive response to the following:
· Analyze one vertically integrated health system in your area and share details about its size, settings/locations, and the services it provides.
· Analyze one horizontally integrated health system in your area and share details about its size, settings/locations, and the services it provides.
· Assess the impact of integration on issues related to cost and access to care, including implications for the management of the organization and the patient/consumer experience.
Reminder: Use and cite sources to support your posting and responses in the Discussion.
· Shi, L., & Singh, D. (2015). Delivering health care in America: A systems approach (6th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
o Chapter 9, “Managed Care and Integrated Organizations” (pp. 361–368)
· Cohen, A., Klein, S., & McCarthy, D. (2014). Hill Physicians Medical Group: A market-driven approach to accountable care for commercially insured patients. Retrieved fromhttp://www.commonwealthfund.org/~/media/files/publications/case-study/2014/oct/1770_cohen_hill_physicians_aco_case_study.pdf
· Cutler, D. M., & Morton, F. S. (2013). Special communication: Hospitals, market share, and consolidation. JAMA, 310(18), 1964–1970.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Sanford, K. D. (2013). Integration requires new roles and responsibilities. Healthcare Financial Management, 67(3), 56–60.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Summer, L. (2014). Research insights: Integration, concentration, and competition in the provider marketplace. Retrieved fromhttp://www.academyhealth.org/files/publications/AH_R_Integration%20FINAL2.pdf
Use the following resources to select integrated health systems on which to focus for your Assignment. You may also use this list to develop background information as you research health systems in your area for the Discussion.
· Rodak, S. (2013). 100 integrated health systems to know. Retrieved fromhttp://www.beckershospitalreview.com/lists/100-integrated-health-systems-to-know.html
Vertically Integrated Health Systems
· Cleveland Clinic. (n.d.). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from http://my.clevelandclinic.org
· Kaiser Permanente. (n.d.). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from http://kp.kaiserpermanente.org/
· Mayo Clinic. (n.d.). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from http://www.mayoclinic.org
· MedStar Health. (n.d.). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from https://www.medstarhealth.org/
· Memorial Hermann Healthcare System Houston. (n.d.). Retrieved March 27, 2015, fromhttp://www.memorialhermann.org
Horizontally Integrated Health Systems
· Apria. (n.d). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from www.apria.com
· DaVita. (n.d). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from www.davita.com
· Labcorp. (2014). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from https://www.labcorp.com/
· Quest Diagnostics. (n.d.). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from http://www.questdiagnostics.com/
· Sunrise Senior Living. (n.d.). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from http://www.sunriseseniorliving.com/
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more