Nutrition/ Core Nutritional Science Assignment/no plagiarism/deadline close
PLS CHECK ATTACHMENT
DNT 200 — NUTRITION FOR HEALTH SCIENCES
STUDY GUIDE 6: ENERGY METABOLISM AND WEIGHT CONTROL
Directions. Using Chapters 7, 8, and 9 of your textbook as a reference, answer the following questions. Please include the questions with your answers. Be sure to put your name on your document. Your answers should be thoughtful, complete, and in Standard English. Credit will not be given for answers copied from online sources.
2. Your friend Tiffany is taking a nutrition course at another local community college. She is having difficulty understanding the unit about the energy yielding pathways of carbohydrate, protein, and fat. Help her by discussing how the basic units of carbohydrate, protein, and fat are utilized in energy pathways to produce energy. Be thorough. Include their differences and similarities?
3. Tina W. is a 44 year old white female who has tried a number of weight-loss programs to include very strict diets. She has never exercised in her previous weight loss attempts. She takes several cardiac medications, none of which she can remember. She is 5’9” and weighs 195 pounds. Her lowest body weight was 135 pounds, when she was 30 years old. (She was able to maintain that weight for two years.) Her blood pressure is high, at 160/90. Tina mentioned that she tried numerous diets as a teenager when she weighed 170 pounds for 3 years.
a. Using the formulae in your text book, calculate Tina’s:
1. BMR (Hint: Be sure to read note b in the BMR column of Table 8-1). What is the meaning of your calculation?
2. Estimated Energy Requirements. Assume a sedentary activity level. What is the meaning of your calculation?
Show your work for both questions.
b. What types of exercise would you be likely to discuss with Tina?
c. What would be the goals of her treatment?
4. Determine your BMI. Is your BMI in a healthy range? If not, why not? Do you believe that measuring body fat percentage may more accurately reflect your body composition? Briefly discuss each body composition measure (e.g. skinfold calipers, bioelectrical impedance analysis, etc.) and discuss why measuring body fat is important in assessing a client’s overall health status.
5. Select one fad diet from any popular publication or online source. Using the ‘How To H9-1’ Box for Identifying a Fad Diet or Other Weight-Loss Scam (Highlight 9, page 291) of your textbook, evaluate the diet.
6. List and briefly explain the four main components of energy expenditure?
7. Kristin B. , like many Americans is overweight. Kristin is 43-year-old and a mother of two. She has gained 40 pounds since the birth of her youngest child five years ago. She is 64 inches tall and weighs 170 pounds with a BMI of 29.2. Her waist circumference is 37 inches. Kristin can’t figure out why it is so hard to lose weight and keep it off.
Kristin decides something must be wrong with her to be such a dieting failure. Maybe she just doesn’t have sufficient willpower or maybe she has abnormal metabolism. She feels tired most of the time and has very little energy. She is very busy with her children and has a demanding job as a middle school teacher. Kristin tries to cook healthy meals for her family but is often too tired or stressed to bother, so she stops to get some fast food on her way home. To make matters worse, her seven year-old son recently came home from school and said the kids were teasing him for being fat.
Kristin’s father recently died from complications of type 2 diabetes. At her last medical checkup, her blood pressure was mildly elevated but all of her laboratory blood tests were normal.
Kristin decides it is time to make some changes for her entire family but she doesn’t know quite where to start. She hopes she can help her son by finding a diet that works for him. Complicating the problem is the fact that Kristin’s husband doesn’t have a weight problem. Knowing that you are studying nutrition, Kristin decides to ask you for advice.
a. Based on her health history and physical measurements, describe how you would determine the seriousness of Kristin’s weight gain in relation to her health.
b. Using the information in chapter 9, what would you estimate to be a reasonable amount of weight for Kristin to lose over the next six months?
c. What are some advantages for Kristin of keeping a food and exercise record? What other habits besides food intake and physical activity may be especially useful for Kristin to record?
d. You advise Kristin to limit her daily caloric intake to 1,400 kcalories. Use Table 9-3 to plan one day of meals and snacks to meet her nutritional needs within this calorie level. Use the chart below (one row is already completed):
Pattern (e.g. fruit, vegetables, grain, etc.) – from Table 9-2
check attachment for table
TEXTBOOK: Understanding Nutrition, 15th edition. The publisher is Cengage
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more