1. T F Anomaly-based intrusion detection systems generate alerts based on deviations from “normal” traffic. Answer: _____
2. T F A host-based IDS monitors logs, files, and activity local to a single computer or device but cannot examine network traffic destined for the host. Answer: ____
3. T F When discussing IDS and IPS, a signature is a digital certificate used to identify the author of an exploit. Answer: _____
4. T F The success of stateful protocol analysis depends on vendors adhering to standard protocol models that specify expected protocol behavior. Answer: _____
5. T F Signature-based intrusion detection cannot identify previously unknown attacks. Answer: _____
6. T F The main difference between network-based IDS and IPS is that IPS responds to suspected attacks by blocking network traffic, while IDS provides notification if suspicious traffic is observed but allows the traffic to pass. Answer: _____
7. T F Snort requires the use of at least one preprocessor to be able to analyze patterns in network traffic spanning multiple packets. Answer: _____
8. T F Snort generates an alert every time a detection rule is matched. Answer: _____
9. T F A network-based IDS that scans packet traffic to try to match known attack patterns is called a signature-based NIDS. Answer: _____
10. T F An in-line IDS must have the processing power to handle traffic at least as fast as the bandwidth of the network it monitors, or it will lose packets and potentially fail to notify on packets matching alert rules. Answer: _____
Part 2: Multiple Choice Questions. Print the correct answer in the blank following the question. (Scored as 2 points for each question; there is exactly one correct choice for each question.) (5 questions at 2 points each)
a. Rules are easy to define
b. The data it produces can be easily analyzed
c. It can detect “zero-day” or previously unknown attacks
d. Malicious activity that falls within normal usage patterns is detected
e. Rules developed at one site can be shared with many other users
a. Initiating incident response procedures
b. Notifying system administrators when patches need to be applied
c. Deterring employees from acting in ways that violate security policy
d. Recording information about the threats faced by an organization’s network
e. Verifying the effectiveness of firewall rules in filtering traffic
a. An IPS detects network attacks and issues alerts
b. An IPS can respond to network attacks by blocking traffic and resetting connections
c. An IPS is typically deployed inline to monitor traffic
d. a and b only
e. a, b, and c
a. Cannot be centrally monitored with sensors running on different OSes
b. Cannot protect against insider threats
c. Cannot inspect encrypted traffic for attack signatures
d. Cannot scale to protect a large network
e. Cannot detect application-layer attacks
Part 3: Short Answers. Please answer briefly and completely, and cite all sources of information. (6 questions at 10 points each)
Screen-shot for question 6.
Part 4: IDS Placement. (20 points) Please refer to the accompanying network diagram as you consider and respond to the following:
Global Corporation, Inc. (GCI) is a fictional company providing business services to a variety of clients across many industries, including commercial and government entities. GCI recently finished construction of a new corporate headquarters, which includes the network infrastructure for primary company operations. You are a security analyst specializing in intrusion detection brought in by GCI to help determine the most appropriate kinds of IDS to use and most effective IDS placements to protect their network.
GCI’s network uses a conventional three-zone architecture: devices exposed to the Internet are part of an un-trusted outer zone; Internet-accessible services such as the company website and email are in a demilitarized zone; and major systems and servers supporting both Internet-facing and internal applications as well as internal computing resources such as the corporate LAN are in a trusted zone. Each of these zones is segmented from the others using hardware-based firewalls; the corporate databases are further protected behind their own dedicated firewall. GCI allows employees remote access to the corporate LAN using either VPN or dial-up connections.
Identify the locations throughout the GCI network where you would recommend IDS to be deployed. Each of the components in the accompanying GCI-HQ Network diagram is lettered to simplify your references to the diagram. For network connections between devices and layers, you may assume for the purposes of this exercise that all components in a given zone share the same network segment. For each placement you recommend, please note the type of IDS to be deployed and any specific considerations that should be taken into account to ensure the effective monitoring of the location.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more