Questions for Medical Nutrition Therapy: A Case Study Approach 5th ed.
Case Study B – Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
(Case study 11 in the text)
1. IBS is considered to be a functional disorder. What does this mean? How does this relate to Mrs. Clarke’s history of having a colonoscopy and her physician’s order for a hydrogen breath test and measurements of anti-tTG?
2. What are the Rome III criteria that were used as part of Dr. Mohammed’s diagnosis? Using the information from Mrs. Clarke’s history and physical, determine how Dr. Mohammed made his diagnosis of IBS.
3. Discuss the primary factors that may be involved in IBS etiology. You must include in your discussion the possible roles of genetics, infection, and serotonin.
4. For each of the following foods, outline the possible effect on IBS symptoms:
c. sugar alcohols
5. What is FODMAP? What does the current literature tell us about this intervention?
6. Define the terms prebiotic and probiotic. What does the current research indicate regarding their use for treatment of IBS? What guidance would you give Mrs. Clarke for choosing a probiotic?
7. Assess Mrs. Clarke’s weight and BMI. What is her desirable weight?
8. Identify any abnormal laboratory values measured at this clinic visit and explain their significance for the patient with IBS.
9. Determine Mrs. Clarke’s energy and protein requirements. Be sure to explain what standards you used to make this estimation.
10. Assess Mrs. Clarke’s recent diet history. How does this compare to her estimated energy and protein needs? Identify foods that may potentially aggravate her IBS symptoms.
11. The RDN that counsels Mrs. Clarke discusses the use of an elimination diet. How may this be used to treat Mrs. Clarke’s IBS?
12. The RD discusses the use of the FODMAP assessment to identify potential trigger foods. Describe the use of this approach for Mrs. Clarke. How might a food diary help her determine which foods she should avoid?
13. Mrs. Clarke is interested in trying other types of treatment for IBS including acupuncture, herbal supplements, and hypnotherapy. What would you tell her about the use of each of these in IBS? What is the role of the RDN in discussing =
14. What was God’s original diet for man? How could this help prevent some gastrointestinal disease? Cite specific verses to support your answer.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more