Assignment 5.Please review the course web site for access dates: Click on the begin button to access the assignment and submit your answers. This covers Unit V The Global Ocean in the textbook (Chapters 9 and 10).
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question. (2 points each)
1) Which of the following would NOT be associated with turbidity currents?
A) density current B) erosion of submarine canyons
C) formation of seamounts D) deposits of graded beds
2) The gently sloping submerged surface extending from the shoreline toward the deep ocean is termed the ________.
A) submarine canyon B) continental rise C) continental slope D) continental shelf
3) Which one of the following is NOT part of passive continental margin?
A) continental rise B) continental slope C) continental shelf D) continental trench
4) Ocean covers approximately ________ percent of Earth’s surface
A) 71 B) 91 C) 51 D) 11
5) An echo sounder operates by measuring the time required for ________.
A) a laser beam to travels from a ship to the seafloor and back
B) a radar pulse to travel from a ship to the seafloor and back
C) a radar pulse to travel from a satellite in orbit around Earth to the sea surface and back
D) a sound pulse travels from a ship to the seafloor and back
6) What kind of seawater is densest?
A) warm, low salinity B) cold, high salinity
C) cold, low salinity D) warm, high salinity
Examine the graph.At what latitude is the ratio of ocean water to land at its maximum? Choose from the following options.
A) between 60° and 65° north B) between 0° and 5° north
C) between 60° and 65° south D) between 25° and 30° south
8) No thermocline exists in high-latitude regions because there is little temperature difference between the top and bottom of the water column. In such a situation the water column is said to be ________.
A) pycnoclinal B) multithermal C) clinothermal D) isothermal
9) ________ is the proportion of dissolved salts to pure water.
A) Density B) Salinity C) Pycnocline D) Subduction
10) Manganese nodules are an example of ________ sediment.
A) manganesogenous B) hydrogenous
C) terrigenous D) biogenous
11) ________ are huge circular-moving current systems that dominate the surface of the ocean within an ocean basin.
A) Coriolis B) Tombolos C) Upwellings D) Gyres
12) When waves reach shallow water they tend to be ________, which makes them become parallel to the shore.
A) refracted B) translated C) reflected D) eroded
13) Large estuaries are more common on a(n) ________ coastline.
A) emergent B) eroding C) stable D) submergent
Examine the satellite view of chlorophyll concentrations in the southern Atlantic Ocean along the southwest coast of Africa (the nations of Namibia and South Africa). Which of the following statements offers the best explanation for the observed pattern(s)?
A) This is an area of downwelling, where water is sinking due to the higher density it gains when sea ice forms and salinity increases.
B) The coast is a “dead zone,” an area of very low biological activity.
C) This is an area of shallow water and waves breaking as they “feel bottom.”
D) This is an area of upwelling, where nutrient-rich water is rising due to winds blowing over the ocean’s surface.
15) You visit a coastal area for the first time. You note the presence of marine terraces, sea stacks, and sea arches. Based on these features, the area is likely to be ________.
A) in need of beach nourishment B) a submergent coast
C) experiencing a spring tide D) an emergent coast
16) Erosional retreat of a(n) ________ leads to enlargement and extension of a wave-cut platform in the inland direction.
A) sea arch B) marine terrace C) spit D) wave-cut cliff
17) The energy that drives surface ocean currents such as the Gulf Stream comes from ________.
A) temperature differences B) salinity variations
C) the Coriolis effect D) prevailing wind patterns
18) One result of wave refraction is that wave energy is concentrated ________.
A) on spits
B) on headlands projecting into the water
C) in bays, coves, and other recessed areas between headlands
D) on tombolos
19) Fetch is ________.
A) a method of shoreline erosion control
B) the distance between the trough of a wave and the still water level
C) the distance over which the wind blows over open water
D) the circular pattern made by water particles when a wave passes
20) The center of each of Earth’s five major gyres is found at about ________ latitude.
A) 60° B) 30° C) 90° D) 0° (the equator)
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more