1. Compute the profitability ratios, including the a and b components (DuPont Methods) of ratios 2 and 3 as shown in the textbook. The profitability ratios should be shown for all three years.
2. Write a brief one-paragraph description of any trends that appear to have taken place over the three-year time period.
3. In examining the income statement in Figure 1, note that there was an extraordinary loss of $170,000 in 2006. This might have represented uninsured losses from a fire, a lawsuit settlement, etc. It probably does not represent a recurring event or affect the earnings capability of the firm. For that reason, the astute financial analyst might add back in the extraordinary loss to gauge the true operating earnings of the firm. Since it was a tax-deductible item, we must first multiply by (1-tax rate) before adding it back in.* The tax rate was 35 percent for the year.*
$170,000 Extraordinary loss
.65 (1-tax rate)
$110,500 Aftertax addition to profits from eliminating
the extraordinary loss from net income
The more representative net income number for 2003 would now be:
Initially reported (Figure 1) $200,318
Adjustment for extraordinary loss being eliminated +110,500
Adjusted net income $310,818
Based on the adjusted net income figure of $310,818, re compute the profitability ratios for 2006 (include part a and b for ratios 2 and 3).
4. Now with the adjusted net income numbers as part of the ratios for 2006, write a brief one-paragraph description of trends that appear to have taken place over the three-year time period (refer back to the data in Question 1 for 2004 and 2005).
5. Once again, using the revised profitability ratios for 2006 that you
developed in Question 3, write a complete one paragraph analysis of the
company’s profitability ratios compared to the industry ratios (figure 3).
Make sure to include asset turnover and debt to total assets as supplemental
material in your analysis.
6. Harrod’s has a superior sales to total assets ratio compared to the industry.
For 2006, compute ratios 4, 6 and 7 as described in the text and compare
them to industry data to see why this is so. Write a brief one-paragraph
description of the results. Note: for ratio 4, only half the sales are on credit
7. Conclusion: Based on your analysis in answering Questions 4 and 5, do you
hink that Becky Harrod has a legitimate complaint about being charged 2½
percent over prime instead of one percent over prime? There is no absolute
right answer to this question, but use your best judgment
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more